This is the beginning of a new adventure. It’s the start of a personal blogging challenge so that all of you can get to know me a little better.
Oh! And by the way, the name’s Julia 🙂
I’ll begin with warning you, that the task of blogging is a little daunting. I have never been the strongest writer – but bear with me as I go through this! My goal for this post is to share with you a little history of how I started as a hobbyist with a passion for photography, and how I’ve evolved! You get to hear why I truly love what I have the opportunity to do!
So the question is: Why do I do what I do? Haha – that is a FULLY loaded question. But hang on tight because I want you all to know why I love it so much!
It all began when my family got their first digital camera. Like most other amateurs, I began by taking photos of nature and landscapes, making sure I got down real low to get fancy angles and try to make the most “artistic” shot that I could. As time had passed, I had officially become the family photographer and stolen my parents camera. They finally realized that my request for a new camera as a birthday gift was serious and so what did I get for my birthday? A new sweater. Haha! Just kidding. I got a camera! (Best parents ever!). Anyways, I started realizing that although I enjoyed taking photos of landscapes, I loved the social interaction of getting to work with people even more. After my awkward teenage years, I started gaining more confidence and actually started asking people if I could take their photos! (Big step, I know.) But I’m so thankful they allowed me to do that. It was the beginning of it all.
Now I’ll skip to the good stuff. I had finally graduated from high school and friends, family members and acquaintances had actually asked me to take their photos! I took every opportunity I could because I just loved the idea of being a photographer. I had always dreamed of photographing weddings, families and portraits, but never knew where to begin. I had always been told “DREAM BIG!” and was the one constantly telling people to go for what they wanted to do, but somehow I had never followed my own advice. Funny how that works, eh?! I finally was urged to just go for it. Because really, what do I have to lose? I am so thankful that once I set my mind to something, I put everything I’ve got into it.
There are a few reasons why I truly love what I do.
- I love people! My personality type is an extrovert, and I love the energy that I gain when I get to be around people! I’ve always loved being involved in social activities, whether it’s volunteering at my Church youth group, or just hanging out with friends, I couldn’t be more happy then when I get to hang out with others!
- I love weddings. Now this is a big one. There is always so much love and joy that envelops a wedding day. I love the tiny little details that gets put into the day. I love the LOVE between the bride + groom. I love the stories I get to hear as loved ones share embarrassing stories. I love the hype and excitement as people who haven’t seen each other in years get together to celebrate. I love the fast-paced environment as so much is happening throughout the day. I love the little surprises that happen. And, I love cash smashes. Haha! Most of all – I am so thankful that I have been trusted to document one of many important milestones in your life.
- I love documenting memories. Personally, the best way to trigger an important memory for me, is through the reminder of a photograph. I easily forget things without photographic evidence, which is why I have to take photos! One of my favourite things to do is look through old photos. You’re always flooded with emotions, and my goal is to help brings these memories back. I love catching the in-between moments and the candids, because I love telling a story, and documenting what truly happens!
- I love challenging myself. I honestly and truly love learning about the wedding photography industry! I am constantly learning, training, practicing new techniques, and developing my skills. There is no other explanation other than I LOVE pushing past boundaries and challenging myself to become better every single day!
- Last one, I promise! I love having the opportunity to show off who you really are. I know there are so many people who are camera-shy (myself included!) and my goal is to create an easy, and friendly atmosphere that allows you to feel completely yourself! I want to capture beautiful photos that you’re going to love!
PHEW. Let’s take a breather! I surprised myself there with the amount of content haha! But when you’re passionate about something it’s hard to stop! 🙂
There are a lot more reasons about why I do what I do, but it’s safe to say that these are my top 5! Thanks for tuning into the first post of this series! I’m kind of digging the alliteration of the title – maybe I’ll keep it for all my personal posts 🙂
Thank you SO much to taking time to read this – if you’ve even made it this far!! I cannot wait to share more in the upcoming weeks 🙂
Now I want to know – What are YOU passionate about? Comment below, I’d love to hear about it!!
Till next time!